Friday, April 15, 2011

These windows need some love

I've done the floors, the paint, the furniture, half the windows. But the rest of the windows still struggle. I've got 2 in the kitchen and 2 on the way upstairs. They are still as-is since the day I moved in. They successfully provide privacy. But they do nothing else.

The kitchen has these cafe curtains, which are nice because they let some light in (bonus on the south and east sides of the house) while still allowing privacy. But I hate them. They fall down unexpectedly, get dirty, never look right.

I don't love the scalloped wood above the sink window, but that will likely stay. New countertops are in the distant future. Also, don't judge the clutter.

Then there are the windows going upstairs. Plantation shutters with ugly green valances (which I removed once and have never gotten back on correctly). Oh yeah, and don't mind the wallpaper... it will go eventually as well. Just as soon as I tackle a bathroom-full of wallpaper.

These windows are also on the east side of the house so the light is nice.

Help? Suggestions??

By the way...this is the first post all year. Wow, 2011 has been busy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie :)

    Do you need the kitchen windows obscured for privacy? I feel like windows over the sink are tough, because of inevitable splashes and the like. I've seen spray-on and peel/stick window films that offer privacy but still allow all of that nice natural light. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi friend! if you're feeling crafty, you can do all kinds of things with fabric and either a simple stitch or else iron-on tape. otherwise ikea has nice inexpensive curtain options! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend,
    I kind of agree with Lindsay... does your kitchen need privacy? You could look out on your backyard when you are doing dishes and enjoy the sunshine a little more. I don't have any ideas for you in terms of kitchen curtains but I do love this website where I always get a bunch of ideas: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

    Good luck! Or we could go shopping to look for things... remember, I like to spend your money. Oh! and I was in Kohls the other day and didn't see anything big enough for that wall of yours. Maybe at another one? I'll keep my eyes open!

    ReplyDelete